The Burke Group (TBG) has worked successfully with companies in a wide range of industries to effectively prepare the leadership team to combat a corporate campaign. This involves working with the highest level of management and members of the Board of Directors, when appropriate, to develop a comprehensive plan to effectively counter the potential damage the union is trying to inflict on the business.
What is a Corporate Campaign?
A corporate campaign is a tool used by unions attempting to apply sufficient pressure to persuade an employer to yield to the union’s position. One way a union might use a corporate campaign is to force union recognition by a company without an NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) secret ballot election.
How do unions use Corporate Campaigns?
Unions will try to use corporate campaigns to apply pressure where it believes the business is most vulnerable. The union will do extensive research on the company to find that vulnerability. The union’s strategy is simply to hurt the business as much as it can until it gets what it wants.
What strategies do unions use in launching Corporate Campaigns?
- Capital Strategy – The employer’s behavior is challenged through its ties with investors, lenders, and shareholders
- Customer Strategy – Appealing to the customers or clients of an employer
- Political Action Strategy – The legislative, political and electoral process is used to pressure the target
- Community/Public Strategy – Important elements of the community and opinion leaders support the campaign and threaten the employer’s community support
- International Strategy – Pressure is placed on the employer’s international image, operations and markets
- Competitor Strategy – Pressure on other employers in the same industry is used to place pressure on the target employer
- Suppliers Strategy – Scrutinizing ties with important suppliers and vendors
- Regulatory Strategy – Assisting government agencies that enforce laws and regulate employers to scrutinize the target employer
How does a company counter a union’s corporate campaign?
The Burke Group, working with the highest level of management and members of the Board of Directors, when appropriate, will develop a comprehensive plan to effectively counter the potential damage the union is trying to inflict on the business. Strategies developed are unique to each corporate setting. For more information, please contact us.